The Hits Just Keep on Coming...

I knew something was wrong Wednesday night as soon as I got on the bike for the 'cross clinic. I kinda figured it was due to my ongoing sinus infection and the wet conditions, but I was kinda surprised just how far I was off form. While others made multiple attempts at various course features, I was only good for one or two before my body started to warn me that I was pushing my luck. Since this was only a clinic, I decided to dial it back and save myself for the ArcticCross race on Saturday.

That night I was doubled over with coughing fits, to the point that I had lost the ability to speak by the next day. I took the day off to try to recover, but by Friday it was obvious this wasn't just a sinus infection. Since the wife had been diagnosed the day before with bronchitis, the doctor only confirmed what I already knew...

I wasn't racing Saturday.

I spent Friday night downing whatever the doctor prescribed, and slept with two cough drops in my cheeks like a chipmunk. It worked for a couple hours, and then it was back to hacking up a lung.

Still, I almost suited up for the 'cross race, but the rain and my aching body convinced me to sit this one out. I drove out to the race to cheer my friends on, and as I watched them circle the course it dawned on me that I had made the right decision. Coated with mud and sporting "thousand yard stares", their suffering showed me that I had no business out there. The run-ups at APU would have killed me, and my weak bike handling skills would have put me on the ground far too many times. Even in peak (for me) condition, I would have had a rough time of it. Again, it was the right decision.

I went home and got on the trainer, trying to grind my way through something resembling a workout. To be honest, I was just trying to see what was left. It wasn't much, but I needed to do something to avoid going stir crazy.

Now I'm just looking forward to Race #2, with the hopes that I can recover enough to finish on the lead lap. I'm not betting on it, though...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rules.

The Middle Men.

Why Would Anyone Want To Do It?