The Sound of Failure.

I work in a small cubicle farm with a bunch of other middle-management types, doing the administrivia that keeps the lights on, prevents the building from falling down, and keeps all of the special little snowflakes more or less in line with a million different (and often conflicting) regulations. If we do our jobs and deal with the mundane, the people above us with actual functioning brains can think their big thoughts and devise new things for us to figure out how to implement. 
   
The cubicle walls are too high to see over, so they provide the illusion of an office without the actual privacy of one. We all know what the guy on the other side of the wall is doing.
 
When I open the wrapper of a 1.76oz belVita Cinnamon Brown Sugar 230 calorie breakfast biscuit package, the guy in the next cubicle pipes up with, "is that the sound of failure I hear?" To be fair, I couldn't tell the sonic difference between opening a .76oz belVita Cinnamon Brown Sugar 230 calorie breakfast biscuit package and a 20oz Family Size, 2800 calorie bag of Doritos Nacho Cheese Tortilla Chips, although the actual level of failure is quite different.
  
I'm fairly sure that there are healthier options than a 1.76oz belVita Cinnamon Brown Sugar 230 calorie breakfast biscuit pack, but they delay my grabbing a 20oz Family Size, 2800 calorie bag of Doritos Nacho Cheese Tortilla Chips a little while. They worked for me in Mississippi, so I've stuck with them as a quick source of food-esque matter that will get me through the work day. Then it's off to the gas station for nutritious roller-cooked hotdogs on the way home.
  
I could be eating kale chips. I could be eating raw broccoli and similar shrubbery-based food. But no, that would be too much of a stretch. Baby steps.
  
My degree of failure can only vary so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Sad