New-New Normal.

As my time at Cape Lisburne drew to a close, I rode less and less on the trainer. After three days of skipped workouts, I finally got on my last day before packing everything up. A casualty of too many days out in sub-zero temperatures, hanging in a harness off a roof catwalk reinforcing and  aligning a wind-battered satellite dish that is a difficult one even in more favorable conditions. It took its toll on my body, but I was determined to at least make it work better. I did, but there was a bill to pay afterwards.

I came home and so far have been successful at avoiding the bike. It's not hard if you don't make the effort. Actually, I wake up every morning and pet my dogs, telling them they are the bestest puppies in the whole wide world. Then I get the kids ready for school, drive them across town to drop them off, and run errands on my way home. Projects and other time killers eat up the hours I have before I pick the kids up. Then it's dinner and well... the day is shot. I'm sure I could squeeze something in there, but right now I'm finding my feet again.

I play a little guitar, work on them to make them play better, and try to learn something new as often as possible. As with bicycles, I now possess a luthiers collection of tools, with none of the skills to guide their use.

Yesterday I signed up for online dating. I met my last wife there 15 years ago, so I figured it was as good a place as any to start. I kept telling myself I wasn't ready, but the truth is I want to stop aching. I want to be able to pass the creamer in the dairy section and not feel a pang. I want to move forward.

I didn't ask for this new normal. At least, not consciously. However, it's the reality I'm faced with.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tLpyklFEahs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.