I Learned Something I Already Knew.

Despite what the bicycle industry will tell you, no matter how much technology or money you throw at the problem, no matter how much you optimize stiffness/weight/compliance/whatever, one fact remains unchanged.
  
I can lose on anything.
  
I've lost races on every bicycle imaginable. I've lost races by large margins on carbon superbikes. I've lost races on lower-tier aluminum by small margins. I've flipped that script in any number of ways. I've managed to lose races across the spectrum in such a comprehensive fashion that I can't make any real correlation between how much a bike costs and how much I'm going to lose by while riding it. All I know is that if it has two wheels and a crankset, I can probably avoid winning on it.
 
You have to admire my consistency.
  
Saturday's crit was another example of that. I opted for the Moots with some low-profile aluminum wheels because of the wind. It was plenty stiff and had the requisite snap. Even in my weakened state, I still probably had the best jump in the pack. However, I decided to pile mistake upon mistake when it came time to go, and managed to pull off a spectacular loss. It wasn't my choice of frame material or depth of my wheels that lost it for me. It was purely my inability to realize what everyone else does.
  
I suck.
  
Still, I love my bikes. I was reminded of how pretty they are as I finally got around to cleaning them on Sunday morning. Deep section wheels may not make me win any more, but they certainly make a bike look faster, and if I can't ride fast, at least I can look fast at the start line.
 
And fat. Really, really fat.
 
I don't think I can race myself into shape this year, as if that was possible. If I brought some sort of form to the table, I could race myself into contention in a real race, but it's kinda obvious to me that I'm going to have to put in a lot of miles and find a way to put down the fork.
 
Otherwise I'm just going to keep losing on any bike that happens to be unfortunate enough to be ridden by me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Sad