Nightmare.

This is Piper.
The weekend before I left for King Salmon, we decided to take the RV down to Anchor Point. It's my wife's favorite place for some reason, so I wanted to make her happy. We loaded up the dogs, kids, and supplies for the weekend, and made the four hour drive down. The wife and kids took the dogs to the beach to play, and I set up camp and started opening beers.
  
I turned in relatively early, and in the morning I was somewhat surprised to find Piper had jumped up on the tall bed during the night and slept at my feet. My large black lab, Jackson, had opted to curl up with my daughter on the pull-out couch, which is significantly lower to the ground. I did my usual early-morning checks, and then let Jackson out to stretch his legs. Piper didn't stir, which isn't unusual.
  
When Jackson and I returned from our adventures, my wife was waking up. Piper lifted her head and started whining. It soon became obvious her rear legs weren't working and she couldn't get up. Then she started drooling. I picked her up and took her outside, where it became obvious we were headed to a veterinarian. Unfortunately, none of the vets in Homer were answering the phone, so I borrowed a friend's car and loaded up Piper for the drive back to Anchorage and a 24hr Animal ER.

As soon as we hit the highway, Piper started twitching. Then convulsing. I was speeding and calling every vet I could find, trying to find one that would answer and help my dog. I found one in Kenai that would get us in, but I had a 45 minute drive with a dog having grand mal seizures. I was pleading with my puppy to hold on, that I was getting her to the people that could help. Her flailing muscles, bared teeth, and wild eyes were my only answer.
  
The vet in Kenai was able to dope her up enough to stop the seizures, and gave me a small syringe in case she woke up during the drive. He said she should be out for two or more hours. As if. An hour later she started whining, laying on her side with all legs running. While not as scary as the previous seizures, I ended up dosing her twice on the trip. I just wanted Piper to be as comfortable as possible and minimize the damage the ordeal was doing to her.
  
When I arrived at the Pet ER, the tech came out all COVID-compliant to take my dog away. Initially she asked me to get Piper out of the car, then noticed she wasn't moving and quickly grabbed her and ran inside. Five minutes later she came back and asked if Piper was drugged, and I was able to explain her condition.

I told my wife to stay in Anchor Point for the rest of the weekend, because there was nothing she could do. I got the occasional update from the doctors, as they injected Piper's little body with drugs to stop the seizures. Then, as they weaned her off of them, they let me know what progress was being made. Each small step inspired hope, which led me to dig into my savings even deeper. Piper has only been with us for a few months, but she's family.
  
Today my wife picked up Piper for a trip to another animal hospital for a MRI. I've never owned a bike that cost me as much as this dog. Piper can't see, and still has limited muscle control currently. She's frustrated, confused, and probably as terrified as I was during our drive up from Anchor Point. We're hoping the MRI will provide us with a possible cause and therefore hopefully a solution.
   
I have to face facts, though. All of this might be for nothing, and we might be faced with putting Piper to sleep. Her quality of life is a major concern. I just want my puppy back, but I can't be selfish here. After seeing Piper's condition on her trip to the MRI, my wife agrees. I managed to sneak in a visit before I left for King Salmon. The doctor was saying a whole lot of words, but I was focused on my little girl, petting her and trying to let her know that I was there. Although she responded, I'm not sure she knew it was me.
  
I'm gutted.
  
I'm quarantined in King Salmon for two weeks, which means I'm going to be riding the trainer until I serve my time. I brought my new S&S coupled Moots, with the parts and tools to build it up. So far, I haven't found the enthusiasm to do more than slap a couple parts on it a day. I'm just sleepwalking through life. I know a workout would do me worlds of good, so I keep moving in that direction- just not very fast.
  
I'm doing my best, Piper. I wish that was enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Sad