Number Crunching

My life seems to be dictated by software these days.
 
Every day I wake up and plot my current flab state in the Livestrong weight-tracking application. Then I check Google Docs for what the day's workout will be. I fire up the Garmin bike computer, make the required adjustments to settings, zero the Quarq powermeter, and start spinning the pedals. When I get off, I download it into Garmin Connect, record my observations/impressions, transfer it into WKO+ for analysis, and make notations on the Google Docs file for Janice. Then I'm back on Livestrong to track the calories I've burned and consumed for that day so I can keep the diet on track.
 
Now I'm writing a blog entry about it.
 
The funny thing is, I'm not a numbers guy. I try not to geek out on the data too much, because I have a habit of overdoing it. Once the data is in there, I rarely go back and review it- that's Janice's job. I may check to see what my power targets are for a given interval, or to see how I felt during the last time I did a particular workout, but I don't know my CSB from my ATL, or how they affect my CTL. To be honest, I'm intentionally remaining semi-ignorant for now. Anytime I do the thinking, I just screw all of Janice's carefully crafted work up.
 
So, I just plug myself into the Matrix and turn the pedals, hoping (with a fair amount of confidence) that all of this will make me a better cyclist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.