The Hits Just Keep on Coming...

I knew something was wrong Wednesday night as soon as I got on the bike for the 'cross clinic. I kinda figured it was due to my ongoing sinus infection and the wet conditions, but I was kinda surprised just how far I was off form. While others made multiple attempts at various course features, I was only good for one or two before my body started to warn me that I was pushing my luck. Since this was only a clinic, I decided to dial it back and save myself for the ArcticCross race on Saturday.

That night I was doubled over with coughing fits, to the point that I had lost the ability to speak by the next day. I took the day off to try to recover, but by Friday it was obvious this wasn't just a sinus infection. Since the wife had been diagnosed the day before with bronchitis, the doctor only confirmed what I already knew...

I wasn't racing Saturday.

I spent Friday night downing whatever the doctor prescribed, and slept with two cough drops in my cheeks like a chipmunk. It worked for a couple hours, and then it was back to hacking up a lung.

Still, I almost suited up for the 'cross race, but the rain and my aching body convinced me to sit this one out. I drove out to the race to cheer my friends on, and as I watched them circle the course it dawned on me that I had made the right decision. Coated with mud and sporting "thousand yard stares", their suffering showed me that I had no business out there. The run-ups at APU would have killed me, and my weak bike handling skills would have put me on the ground far too many times. Even in peak (for me) condition, I would have had a rough time of it. Again, it was the right decision.

I went home and got on the trainer, trying to grind my way through something resembling a workout. To be honest, I was just trying to see what was left. It wasn't much, but I needed to do something to avoid going stir crazy.

Now I'm just looking forward to Race #2, with the hopes that I can recover enough to finish on the lead lap. I'm not betting on it, though...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.