Perception.

Yesterday was an awesome day. I was convinced I had seen my last day on the road for the season, with rain in town and snow creeping down the mountain. Then it all came together and I got a temporary reprieve from the trainer.
 
I felt fast.         I wasn't.
I felt strong.     I wasn't.
I felt light.        I wasn't.

Maybe it was a combination of wasted late-season form and the cold air combining to make me feel like I was riding well, but I absolutely had a blast.
 
Today I got on the bike and felt like dirt.
 
I felt slow.      I was.
I felt weak.     I was.
I felt fat.         Yep, I was that too.
 
Maybe it was my day's diet of nothing but refined sugar that did me in, but I could put nothing into the pedals. My day at work was characterized by always being 3 steps behind, so food was whatever happened to present itself. Nothing good presented itself. I paid for it.
 
Still, weak or not, I squeezed as much riding in as I could, mindful of what is ahead of me. I'm already planning my weeks around time spent on the trainer, so any ride that involves actually moving from point A to point B is to be savored.
 
After the season I just had, it's strange to be excited about cycling, but I am. I'm stocking up on drivetrain and consumable items, stretching out new tubular tires for next season, plotting new bike builds, and dreaming of future racing glories.
 
I feel like a cyclist again.

Better late than never.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.