No Time Like The Present.

It was raining steadily and the temperatures were hovering in the low 50s.
 
Didn't matter. It was time.
 
I kitted up after work, pulled the bike off the car, and started riding. Despite the precautions I took, I got wet. Not soaked, but wet. My hip ached, but I tried to put it out of my mind.
 
With my rain jacket and state of fitness, I didn't set any speed records. I pushed a bit here and there to feel normal, but it's been too long for "normal". The best I can hope for is a gradual return to that feeling.
 
Every painted line or rock on the road was viewed as a threat. My last rainy ride didn't end so well. Being overly cautious is probably worse than being blissfully ignorant and brave. It's just where I am today. I just have to work through the steps and stages to rebuild. With time, I will return to my usual state of overconfidence.


I won't say that I was flooded with an overall sense of well-being when I climbed off the bike, because that would be a lie. I did feel better than when I started, and that was promising. My hip felt about the same, so hopefully I'm not doing any additional damage.
 
I didn't clean my bike afterwards. I didn't even lube the chain. I didn't remove the Garmin from the handlebars. I tossed it in the garage and climbed in the shower.
 
A long, hot shower.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.