Bad Blogger

I haven't been the best blogger as of late,

Mostly, I haven't felt like it.

I haven't been riding much, and there's only so much you can say about not riding your bike except it's a vicious cycle that drags you down and is difficult to get out of.

I did manage a couple rides from Anchor Point. I wasn't going to bring the bike, since it needs serious attention and why bring it if it's just going to sit there? It really doesn't need another coat of bike rack road grime.

At the last second, I threw it in the RV with a handful of kit. Know what I didn't pack? One of the approximately ten Garmins floating around the house. Oh well, turns out the pedals don't need a computer to turn. In retrospect, wearing a heartrate monitor was a bit pointless...

I did some loops from Anchor Point to Homer, my most favoritest place in the world next to Newark, New Jersey. There are some nice climbs above Homer, although I discovered most of the descents into town are riddled with long cracks and potholes usually with a speeding cabbie following closely. Then it's a steady grind out of town. I did discover most of the Old Sterling Highway into Anchor Point is paved again, which gets me off the main highway and away from impatient/entitled/drunk fishermen in diesel trucks towing large boats.

Some of the sections were pleasant, some were tolerable suffering, and some were white knuckled. I'm sure I didn't post any good numbers, but I have no proof. The ANT+ signals from the power meter, speed sensor, and HRM floated off into the fireweed.

I'm looking into cheaper (free) ways than Training Peaks to track my rides that don't piss me off with a lot of stupid ads or pointless metrics. A simple calendar with some ride metrics that can keep me from burning out would be nice. With my current schedule, in a world blighted by COVID, I'm not training for anything. A year mostly on the trainer killed my enthusiasm, and I'm tired of forcing it. I ride when I ride, squiggly lines be damned.

When I go back to the radar sites soon I'll get back on the trainer, because it keeps me sane. Depending on how my position changes when I return, I may get a few road rides in before winter returns. After that? I have no idea. Unlike in my previous life where I could make schedules and plans, my world is very much in flux. I'm trying to investigate options for various contingencies, but there is no real plan.

I did clean out my garage, hauling multiple loads of junk to the dump and making the bike room accessible again. Bike maintenance is on the schedule. The fence is rebuilt. The woodpile is moved. The canoe/kayak rack is finished(ish). House projects are winding down. A couple camping trips. Some time with the dogs. Then it's off to isolation.

I'm playing it by ear, because I have no other choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.