Doubletake.

I was riding into the wind, just like I've done on every other ride, when I looked up and there she was.
  
I blinked.
  
Couldn't be.
  
Heading in the other direction on the same 15 miles of pavement out in the middle of nowhere, was another roadie.
  
Not somebody riding a department store mountain bike. Not somebody riding a fat bike. Not even somebody riding a 'cross bike. A real road bike, with rim brakes and skinny tires. The rider was kitted up as a roadie should be.
  
We waved.
  
I briefly considered turning around and joining her, but we're in the COVID era. I have no idea who she is, where she's been, and who she associates with. She knows even less about me. I really, really don't want to get sick. She probably feels the same way. With the number of seasonal workers coming into the area and fishing boats starting to come in, you can't be too careful.
  
Still, another roadie.
  
Maybe if I see her tomorrow or the next day I'll do that u-turn. Have a conversation at a distance. Maybe learn how in the hell there are two people that thought a road bike here made any sense at all. I miss interacting with other roadies. Being an active part of an actual community instead of a virtual one.
  
Solo rides are what I do most of the time, but a little company is always welcome.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Sad