See You Later, Fatty.

I knew I was out of shape, but it was humbling.
  
I showed up for the Sunday morning Evil Empire group ride, fully expecting to get my teeth kicked in. I had no illusions about being ready to ride, after completely giving up on any sort of structured training and not nearly enough intensity for the past couple months.
  
I got dropped. repeatedly. I couldn't hold the wheels. One minute I was there, and the next I was off the back. They'd wait, despite it being a "drop ride", and I'd eventually wheeze my way up to them. Nothing in the legs and nothing in the lungs.
  
While I was out there not riding, these guys were training and hiking and living good lives. Cheaters.
  
Without a race to look forward to, I'm just kinda rudderless. Every time I try to make a fresh start something pops up to wipe it off the map. Each time it becomes a little easier to give in. Each excuse becomes a little thinner.
  
Getting my teeth kicked in was a good start. Maybe that will lead to something good, something that I can focus on.
  
Races aren't going to do it this year. I'm just not interested in socially distanced, Strava races any more than I am in racing on Zwift. it's not the same thing. A spirited group ride isn't either, but it's closer.
  
Closer might just have to suffice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rules.

The Middle Men.

Why Would Anyone Want To Do It?