A clean slate

After abandoning my cyclocross season, I retreated to the trainer and the occasional longer road ride when I could find the time. A did some long rides in the cold rain that left me questioning my sanity, but when I warmed up and dried off I usually was left with the glow of a good ride. The leaves and rain that fell on the bike trails made for some slick surfaces, but this year I managed to stay upright and enjoy my down season.
 
When I couldn't get out, the return to the trainer wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've spent my time getting ready to resume structured training with Janice and all of the pain that implies. I upped my volume a bit, and tried to acclimate myself to working very hard and getting nowhere. After this 'cross season, that was easier than usual.
 
I have a clean slate for next year, and hours ahead of me to build and dream and scheme. The weight I've gained since Fairbanks needs to come off, plus a few more for good measure. That will come in time, as I don't want to burn myself out before January.
 
Today I did a chilly-but-dry ride outside, which will probably be one of, if not the last one of the season. I didn't push it much, and enjoyed the simple act of turning over the pedals. While usually I'll try to sneak in a bunch of mileage in the fall, this year I haven't been as interested in racking up numbers. If I get in an hour of riding and had a good time, I see no reason to try to push my luck. There will be plenty of time for that next year.
 
Now is the time to get to work filling out that slate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.