I quit.

The ArcticCross season is just 7 races long. 7 races spread out over 6 weeks. I pre-paid for the season.
 
I got bronchitis, so I skipped the first one.
I lined up for the second one, and only finished 3 laps.
I lined up for the third one, and couldn't even finish a single lap.
I lined up for the fourth one, and made it through 2 before bailing.
I skipped the fifth one, because I started to see a pattern. I'm quick like that.
I skipped the sixth one tonight, and won't be lining up for the series finale tomorrow.
 
You know what? I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. The entry fees went to support a great organization that has been growing exponentially over the last few years thanks to a dedicated group of individuals. While I miss the competition, my form is not exactly what anyone would consider competitive. For the few laps I did, I was a participant, not a competitor.
 
So, I've been riding my bike. I do intervals on the trainer some mornings, and rides outside when the rain lets up slightly. Long rides, short rides, wet rides, dry rides... I'm not setting any speed records, and my power numbers aren't going to result in a ProTour contract, but I'm having fun just riding around. I should have done this a long time ago.
 
Despite losing a few notches off the top end, I'm still maintaining a decent base. When I end up exclusively on the trainer, I should be exponentially better off than I was this time last year in terms of fitness. Hopefully my mental state will in good shape too, because 6 months is a long time to be stuck in a garage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.