Luke Simpson

A couple years ago I participated in a stage race and had the honor to meet Saul Raisin, the former professional cyclist that suffered a debilitating traumatic brain injury during a race in Europe. As I listened to him speak and later read his book about his recovery, I (probably like most people) had two thoughts:

                “What an inspiring story.”

…and more callously,
                “Wow, sucked to be him.”

The second thought was just a result of thinking it would never happen to me. If you run the odds, it just doesn’t factor into the threat matrix as prominently as teenage girls with cell phones or that sketchy Cat 5 on the brand-new Madone.

Then I got my bell rung. I’ve seen my share of stars and cartoon tweety birds over the years, but this was the first time I was knocked unconscious and woke up in an ER. Another driver’s moment of inattention resulted in a totaled car and weeks of disorientation, speech delays, and random face plants. It didn’t occur to me just how lucky I had been until my very pregnant wife broke down into tears when we went to look at the remains of my car. It could have been far, far worse.

Not everyone is so fortunate. About a week from my accident, a fellow Anchorage cyclist was in a mountain bike accident and it’s a miracle that he’s still alive. Luke Simpson, like most of us in the local cycling scene, manages to balance an active, competitive life with a career and young family. His company sponsored the Arctic Bike Club Road Division’s hill-climb series.  Between cycling, skiing, hiking, snowmachining, surfing, and climbing, he makes the most of the environment that surrounds him. Although his life was saved through the efforts of his friends and the medical team, he sustained significant head injuries that led to a massive stroke in his brain stem, cutting off neural connections between his brain and body and leaving him, for now, immobilized and with reduced consciousness.
Imagine that for a second. One minute you’re on top of the world, a healthy person ripping down some sweet singletrack. The next second you’re fighting for your life, faced with a long and very expensive recovery. That’s how quickly things can change.

I wouldn’t suggest that anyone stop living life to the fullest on the off-chance that something bad could happen. Bad things happen, and the balance you find through getting off the couch makes your world infinitely better. I would suggest that the next time a fellow cyclist experiences an accident that you muster a little better than “sucks to be you”. Lend a hand, donate what you can, and help them to return to making this sport awesome. It could be you next time.

For more information about how you can help Luke and his family, visit:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.