Mother #@$%&!

So, I start building up the Storck, and it has a press-fit bottom bracket and internal cable routing, two "innovations" I'm not exactly a fan of when it comes to wrenching on bikes. The routing of the cables on this frame is infinitely more complex than on a carbon frame, because the cables go through small holes drilled in the bottom bracket shell. You have to fish the rear derailleur cable through a small hole, down the down tube, through a hole in the bottom bracket shell, through another hole in the shell, down the chain stay, and out to the back to the rear derailleur. Full-length cable housing, that hangs up on every junction and weld. It's not a quick job.
 
Then I pressed in the bottom bracket, making sure I had the cable housing routed above it as the instructions specified. That caused an excessive bend in the cable housing, which meant the cable wouldn't move. Kinda defeats the purpose.
 
I borrowed the proper removal tool from the awesome guys at Speedway Cycles, and still managed to destroy the bottom bracket. I ordered two more from Competitive Cyclist, and my project was on hold.
 
In the meantime, I experimented with cable routing options, and none of them worked. I finally grabbed the Dremel tool and started notching the bottom bracket shell holes so that the cable wouldn't be bent so excessively. It isn't any easier to route the cables (although with practice I'm getting adept at it), but at least the cable moves. I finished up what I could of the project, hung it from the ceiling, and then waited for the bottom brackets to arrive.
 
While I was waiting, I tore down and rebuilt my 'cross bike to take to the annual Arctic Bike Club swap. This winter I took a long look at my history with cyclocross, and came to the conclusion I'm not built for it. The first two years I broke ribs, the third I was saved from injury by bronchitis, and this year I bulged a disc in my back. While 'cross is a ton of fun, the timing of those injuries couldn't have been worse- right before my annual fitness test. So, I decided to hang up my dreams of 'cross glory and instead spend the time on my road bike.
 
As it turns out, the 'cross bike sold within 30 minutes, and I was left with a decent chunk of cash in my hands. Of course, I did what any self-respecting cyclist would do and proceeded to spend it. What did I buy? A road bike frameset. I really, really needed another one.
 
So, in addition to the Storck, now I had a 2008 Cannondale System Six to build up. Off to the bike stand I went, and started bolting on parts. On a whim, I checked the derailleur hanger, and it was bent. I proceeded to gently straighten it.
 
Snap.
 
A little interweb research revealed Cannondale does not recommend straightening this derailleur hanger. I ordered a replacement online, and fruitlessly ran around trying to source one locally the next day. I finished up what I could, then hung up yet another project waiting for parts.
 
The bottom brackets for the Storck came in a week later. So, I started routing cables and managed to destroy the plastic and rubber frame grommets in the process. A call to Competitive Cyclist told me they would have to order replacements from Germany. So, the frame was hung up again with cables hanging out of the frame like entrails from a disemboweled gladiator. 
 
The derailleur hanger came in. I installed it, verified it was true, and then completed the Cannondale build. I plan on riding it today. I have my fingers crossed.
 
These have been among the most problematic builds I've ever done. Ironic, because they are intended as my low-fuss, utility bikes. I wanted something I could throw into the travel case for trips, ride in the rain and other less-than-ideal conditions, do limited maintenance on, and otherwise not worry excessively about. Hopefully the problems end here.
 
While all of this is going on, I'm also fighting a nasty sinus infection. I'd sleep for 3 hours before I would wake up with a hacking cough. Two weeks of insufficient sleep and various drugs probably didn't help my wrenching skills. They certainly didn't do anything for my performance. I've been riding outside as much as possible, only retreating to the trainer when it rained. 30-40F and rain is not a lot of fun for the sick guy. So, the volume took a bump while the intensity took a little dive. Still, I love blowing off stress as I blow out countless snot rockets along the roads. I've done routes I have never attempted this early in the year, and that's definitely one for the plus column.
 
I'm skipping the first two races of the year- a time trial and a hill climb. Being on antibiotics and other drugs, I wouldn't be able to put in a decent effort, and would likely do more harm than good. I'd rather save it for another day. I'll just do a lot of longer, slower rides to build up the diesel, and re-attack once I have a brief window of health.
 
Even with all of this going on, I can honestly say that riding my bike is better than not riding my bike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.