Primed For... Something.

On the banister in my house separating the staircase and the living room is a pile. Imagine that, a pile of something in my house. Who'da thunk?
 
This particular pile is new bike parts, which also isn't all that unique. On the bottom is the Shimano Pro Stealth saddle, still waiting for me to give it a try. Also in the box is the race number holder for the saddle, which I think is one of the cooler features of the Stealth. It's not that I've done any races that have issued race placards in the last few years, but if I do one in the future, I'll have that covered. I may just make one for giggles and try to start a trend. More likely people will just laugh at me. It wouldn't be the first time.
 
On top of the Shimano box are two SRAM boxes with brand-spanking-new right shifters. I think I'll try to slap one on the ti road bike tonight and start the rehabilitation project. Even if the bike isn't 100% ready for the road, it will at least be rideable. To be honest, I'm kinda hoping the Moots shows up before the roads clear. I'll swap on my old disc 'cross wheels so I don't get the Chris King and carbon goodness all filthy. The ti bike can wait for a nice(r) day. 
 
On top of the shifters are a bunch of new SRAM chains of varying grades, one of which needs to be installed on the ti bike as well. I usually buy chains in spurts, two or three at a time, then set the unused ones aside for spares. These are promptly misplaced, and I go out and get a couple more. I was cleaning my desk the other day, which means I grabbed a snow shovel and tried to clear a path. Eventually I ended up with a stack of chains, so I may not need anymore for a long while. There's probably more than a few lurking in the garage, but I'll need months of training to tackle that effort. I have enough for a while, and when these run out I can always buy more...
 
Sitting precariously on the top of the pile, one mild earthquake or childish temper tantrum from falling, are a couple sets of SPD road cleats I found as I excavated my desk. I don't chew through them as quickly as I once did, partially because I realized somewhere along the line that walking any distance in my road shoes was not only destructive to the cleats, but also awkward as fuck. However, before I came to this realization, I amassed quite the collection of cleats. Now I replace them less frequently, usually as the result of a crash or because they no longer attach to the pedal effectively. I can't remember the last time I wore out a cleat from the bottom up, probably because I've wrecked so many times and hit my head.
 
Speaking of hitting my head, next to the pile of bike parts is a stack of helmets. On the bottom is a POC Octal Aero that I bought online, tried on, and decided that it made me look like a character from Super Mario Bros. I look ridiculous enough in Lycra, so I don't need any help in this regard. I'll probably wear it eventually, though, as my last remaining shred of vanity and dignity is worn thin like a pair of bib shorts a few years past its prime. We've all ridden in a pace-line behind that guy. Hell, some of us are that guy.
 
On top of the POC is a Bontrager Ballista I bought from the Trek store recently to replace the one I cracked in the fall. Of course I had completely forgotten about the crash replacement deal with it, so I threw the old one away because every time I saw it I was reminded of hitting the pavement. Even though it was on sale, that was money that could have been better spent- like on chains.
 
At the peak is another Ballista, exactly like the one below it. I ordered that one online before I went to the local Trek store, because it also was heavily discounted. Troubles completing the transaction led me to source locally. A couple days after I got one from the Trek store, the online retailer called and asked if I still wanted the five Bontrager Ballistas. Um, no. Looks like the transaction was a little more problematic than I initially believed. But hey, given my recent aptitude for falling down, it couldn't hurt to have another helmet on hand. Sure, send that sucker on up. My cleats will just have to last a little longer.
 
If the size of one's parts pile is any indication, I'm ready for the road season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.