Fitting.

Yesterday, a mile and a half into my ride, I hit a sharp rock thoughtfully deposited by one of the many dump trucks roaming the base with no identifiable purpose. I swapped in the spare tube, puffed it up with CO2, and was off in relatively short time to continue on my way.
  
Today, before my ride, I replaced the spare tube in my saddle bag, because you never know. Plus, the rear tire was looking a bit square, which indicates the center section is probably just about down to the cords.
  
I set off into a mild headwind, and had a marvelous ride. For some reason the legs could respond when I asked them to, and I was able to sustain more wattage than I normally do on sections. On the last third, I caught a nice tailwind and was flat out hauling.
  
So, a mile and a half from the end of my ride, I hit a sharp rock placed there specifically for me by my dump truck friends. Not one flat, but two. I pulled out the front tube, found a pair of pinch-flat holes, and patched them. After reinstalling the tire, I pumped it up with a mere 14,000 strokes of my mini pump and set it aside as I turned my attention to the rear. I wasn't taking any chances here, so I used the brand-spanking-new Kenda tube. I don't know where I got a Kenda tube, because I don't know anyone that sells them around here, but it was fresh out of the package. Good enough. I swapped the tube out, threw it back in, and started pumping- except the tube never filled. Air actually left the tube faster than I put it in, which maybe Neil deGrasse Tyson can explain to me one day. I patched the old tube, re-installed it, and was ready to go.
  
Except I wasn't.
  
The front tire had deflated. I missed yet another hole.
  
It started to rain.
  
The temperature dropped ten degrees.
  
I finally got everything sorted out, stuffed the debris in my jersey pockets, and carefully rode the remainder of my route. On the way home, I stopped off at the bike shop and replenished my supply of tubes (not Kendas), CO2 cartridges, and tube patches.
  
Once Home, I pulled both tires and tubes. They were done, and should have been replaced weeks ago. I rummaged around in the parts pile and came up with some new 28c tires (not Kendas) that I'd been wanting to try. I installed the front tire with a new tube (not a Kenda) and test fit it. Looked pretty cool, all balloony and wide on my 23mm rims. Plenty of clearance around the fork. Sweet.
  
I replaced the back tire the same way, but found it had no clearance at the chainstays. If the wheel went the slightest bit out of true, my ride would have been over. So, I had to remove both newly installed 28c tires, rummage around the parts pile for 25c tires, and install tires on the rim for the 40th time that day.
  
I hope I'm done with this for a while, because it's getting old.
  
Still, it was a great ride. When I can go through all of that and still be jazzed about a ride, I take that as a good sign.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.