Hammered.

I haven't ridden my bike in a week.
  
Every day I get home from work, quickly change into my crusty clothes. and go out and work on the latest project.
  
Another fucking canned ham travel trailer. I'm an idiot.
  
This one is by far my most ambitious and stupid project yet. It's a 1968 Aloha 16T Custom- sorta. Actually it's a good trailer frame, some windows, and some aluminum siding. All of the wood is rotten and is being replaced. All of it, down to the floorboards. All of the appliances are being replaced. I'm not kidding.
 
I have a large dumpster in my driveway that is almost completely full of rotting wood and other junk that used to give the camper its shape. The aluminum siding and roof are currently laid out neatly, killing my lawn. Choice pieces that I want to retain for reference or to reuse somehow are under plastic up against the garage.
 
I've already framed out the wall panels with new lumber. I'll add the paneling before I put them on the frame because in canned hams, paneling is a structural component. There's a certain order you do things in when building these things which requires some contemplation when scheduling different stages. Wiring, insulation...
 
It would be exponentially easier if I was working on a concrete slab instead of an uneven asphalt driveway. I would kill for a roof over my head, so I don't have to look over my shoulder for ominous clouds or frantically gather tools and cover wood when it starts to rain. I'd love a place where I can leave all of my tools out and not have to pile them unceremoniously in piles at the end of every day. That would be nice.

Tonight I'll be ripping out the deck and prepping the metal trailer frame for paint. I'll probably pull the wheels for replacement and start looking at the hubs and bearings. A lot depends on weather. Thanks to my open-air workspace, I have to be flexible and roll with it. Our sunny season only lasts so long (I think it ended last week). Once I start working steadily on building rather than destroying, I'll be more enthused.
  
No riding, intermittent blog posts.
 
That's my life right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.