Burnt.

I've been putting in the hours on the trainer. 
  
The last time my Training Peaks squiggly lines trended this high was when I was doing 300+ mile weeks in Mississippi a few years back. By the end of that trip my legs were twin tubes packed with ache and I was getting on the bike somewhat out of obligation. 

I'm not in the same shape this time around, thanks to a steady diet of mass quantities of food. I'm round, although multiple co-workers have stated I look thin and ten years younger than I actually am. This perception is based more on the physiques they see day-in and day-out than actual reality. It enables my more counterproductive tendencies.
  
What is the same is the aching legs. If I was still sitting at a desk most of the day and dying a slow death like a normal person, it wouldn't be much of an issue. However, my current position involves a lot of stairs and other stuff cyclists go out of their way to avoid. Nothing like following up sprint intervals with carrying heavy radar parts up a few flights of stairs to make the legs scream that extra little bit.
  
I've been doing two workouts a day, mostly because I need to counteract my diet somewhat and the other entertainment options on a remote radar site usually don't keep you from adding yet another notch to your belt to allow for expansion. The first one comes early in the morning, and isn't that hard to pull off after a semi-decent night of sleep. The second one is harder, after a long day and a heavy dinner. Sometimes I just admit that I didn't have it in me and try to make up the time later. Usually the make-up workout just pushes the issue further down the line and results in square pedaling and aching knees. Still, I keep at it, because sitting around watching TV or trying to find the end of the internet with a slow connection gets really old after a while.
  
So, I keep grinding away until I break. It won't be long, but I figure as long as I don't fall too far as I crumple I'll still have something to build my next pointless peak on. Then another... and another... all the way to riding season, where hopefully I will have sufficient fitness to enjoy myself when I have the opportunity to ride on real pavement.
  
That's the plan. It's not the sort of artfully conceived plan Janice used to build for me, and the results are not as dramatic (at least in any positive way), but it's my plan at the moment. Keep moving and hope my peaks and valleys line up at the right times.
  
Could be worse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.