Out of Sync.

For the last three years, my "peak" (such as it is), occurred during the off-season.
  
That's pretty messed up.
  
Thanks to injury, ill-conceived projects, retirement, a new career, and any number of other factors, I managed to reach my best fitness (again, relative) when I don't have a good use for it. Instead, all of the days I'm out on the pavement I'm just flailing away, pedaling squares and suffering. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?
  
So now I'm at a radar site out on the coast, about an hour's flight south of Bethel. And I'm cruising along on the trainer these days. In one way I'm happy I can still cran out those kinds of efforts, but in another I'm frustrated I never seem to be able to line them up with anything that really matters.
  
I daydream sometimes about a return to "glory". Dropping the weight, actually planning out my training with a goal, and mixing it up again with the gang in a crit. Then I grab a dozen four-packs of Oreos off the snack shelf and do my very best to burn my legs off in the most unproductive manner possible. It's what I do best.
  
I guess it could be worse. No, I know it could be worse. I'll just keep grinding away until I either get somewhere or I fall apart.  
  
  
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.