Rainin' Again.

It's been raining frequently here in Fairbanks.
  
Each day I'd pick a different time to ride, and each day it would rain at that time. It's not like I said it out loud or anything. Given that I'm living out of an RV with my family and a limited water supply, even a warm, wet ride creates its own unique issues when you arrive home. Where can you hang all of the wet kit? How many seconds can you shower to keep the road grit out of the bedsheets?
  
I can deal with the wet during a ride, because it cools me off and hide my fat's tears. Nobody looks especially great when they're sucking down the water and road debris off the tire in front of them, so my suffering blends in until I'm dropped. One minute I look like everyone else, and the next I'm the fatty off the back.
  
I missed the Saturday group ride because of child-supervision duties. I understand they got soaked pretty well. I took the the kids to Chena Lakes and went canoeing. We got soaked too. My lab puppy decided he didn't want to ride in the canoe, and went over the side. He went under, bobbed up, and then frantically swam for shore. He was deposited back into the canoe, where he opted not to repeat his previous heroics. Good call on his part. My golden retriever puppy watched all of this and did not make his own attempt. He may have laughed a little at his wet brother.
  
Sunday I finally got back on the bike for a little ride. I picked a loop that I thought would be easy enough and proceeded to prove myself wrong. Had fun, though. Didn't get wet. Didn't have any flats or other real mechanical issues. I'll chalk that one up in the win column.
  
Tomorrow I may try again. It will probably start raining 20 minutes before I originally planned to kit up. Depending on how I feel, I may ride anyway. Probably not. I may just decide to take another nap. Maybe take another trip through the McDonalds drive thru "for the kids".
  
Par for the course.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.