Refocusing.

I was composing an overly-long post on how I was trying to be good and not buy more bikes I don't need or, when you get right down to it, really want. I have a compulsion to acquire things for the activities I'm passionate about, even if they don't add anything meaningful to the experience. I did it with music equipment in my teens and twenties, Jeep stuff in my twenties and thirties, and now bike stuff in my thirties and forties. You'd think I would have figured it out by now, but ever since I've had the means to do so, I've been the type compelled to acquire.
  
The other day it was an Eriksen frameset. Kent Eriksen founded Moots, and he makes very, very nice bikes. North American Handmade Bicycle Show award-winning bikes. Gorgeous stuff. This particular frameset had everything I desire, with a tapered ENVE fork, English threaded bottom bracket, exterior cable routing, stiff rear triangle, thinner seatpost, clearance for 28s... Yeah, I was right there with my finger hovering over the button to make it mine.
  
Instead, I bought chamois cream. To be fair, it was six tubs of Chamois Butt'r Eurostyle I found a serious deal on, which should last me a little while.
  
The difference? The chamois cream I will use.
  
It's not to say I wouldn't ride the Eriksen. I'd probably ride the hell out of it. And while I was riding the hell out of it I wouldn't be riding all of my other bikes. I already have bikes I absolutely love. I giggle sometimes when I'm on my Moots Compact, because I've never had a bike that fits me as well in any number of ways. When I finally get the Compact I'm having Davidson Cycles install S&S couplers on, I'll have a travel bike that will make me giggle. I love my Vamoots RSL, which makes me wonder if I'll ever go back to plastic race bikes. Scratch that- I'll probably swing a leg over my Madones again if I ever find myself sitting on some race form. 

Point is, I don't think I can use another bike, even if it's as awesome as that Eriksen.
  
I stopped buying stocks of ten speed SRAM stuff, because I realized I had enough- especially if I start to consolidate my bike collection. I can build three bikes with what is sitting on the shelf, and even I don't break that many components. I'm good there.   
  
I can use consumables, though. Tires, tubes, bar tape, cables, brake pads... and yes, chamois cream. They will actually contribute to my enjoyment, rather than leaving me with a sense of guilt.
  
I'm not 100% cured. After a long time hunting for deals, a few months back I did get a nice set of Chris King hubs in Mango with a matching headset for my Compact. A little tasteful bling. I'm going to have Dave Coleman  lace the hubs to a set of HED Belgium Plus rims, with the spokes tied and soldered. Most of my wheels are off-the-shelf sets which have served me well for the most part, but a nice set of handbuilt wheels will really finish the build off right.
  
I find it encouraging that I get a little weak in the knees when presented with a beautiful bike. It shows that the old bike libido isn't dead. However, I realize I need to keep it in check. If the lesser evil of bulk taint paint purchases and the odd wheelset keep me on course, so much the better.
  
Still, that Eriksen...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.