Time Suck II.

So far, I haven't really missed the games on my phone I deleted. Having that self-imposed obligation hanging over my head just wasn't a productive or positive thing in my life.

Yet, I still get on my phone first thing every morning. The direct descendent of the cell phone I didn't want but was forced to acquire once pay phones went the way of the dinosaur.
  
I know I spend too much time on the phone in the morning and at night. Since I can't use it during the work day, my abuse is tempered somewhat, but it still robs me of far too much free time and delays other, more productive activities.
  
Every morning I check my email. Fine, that's usually a quick deal, because it's mostly bills and ads for sales I rarely get anything from. Straight to the trash and deleted from there.

Then I check eBay, because, bikes. I'll run through a handful of searches to see what's new. Occasionally something catches my eye, but for the most part it's more about seeing what stuff is going for these days. I'm trying to limit the acquisitions to ongoing projects instead of "just in case" situations. I've pretty much got "just in case" taken care of.
  
I may check Cycling in the South Bay or catch up on the outrage that passes for the news these days. Neither takes very long.
  
All told, I'm probably wasting 15 minutes already, but since I'm not fully awake and unsure at that point if all of my body parts are going to function properly on that given day, I'm fine with this.
  
Then I hit Facebook. Now that the freemium games are gone, this is where I waste the most time. I have hours of newsfeed backed up from countless sources, and I feel obligated to read it all. There's that word again. Obligated. Big, red, flashing warning sign.
  
Problem is, for all of its problems, Facebook actually has a positive use for me. I can stay connected to my family and dogs halfway across Alaska and my extended family and friends spread all over the country.

However, to get that connection I have to wade through a crap-ton of stuff I don't want to see. I'm a simple guy with simple interests. Show me bikes and bike races. Puppies. My wife and kids. The friends and relatives I see far too infrequently. Other than that, I'm not interested. I don't want to be outraged or engaged or otherwise hyper-stimulated. I don't need the stress.
  
In that spirit, I just started ignoring people and groups for 30 days. If I get to the end of that time and don't miss the connection, I unfollow them. I stopped accepting friend requests long ago, except in rare occasions. It makes my feed a lot cleaner, and I don't feel compelled to trudge through it all.
  
I'm misanthropic and probably doing this decade all wrong, but I can find better ways to spend my time than staring at a tiny screen my old eyes can barely read.
  
Like puppies.
This is Piper. A bike friend of mine shared a rescue organization's Facebook post about her sister, and I had puppy fever. See, a positive use of Facebook. Since I am nowhere near home, I immediately forwarded it to my wife, and she leapt at the chance. The family spent their Sunday morning standing in line (I was shocked at how many people there were), and they managed to snag Piper instead of her sister, who was already spoken for. Since they look almost identical, and Piper's overall demeanor is pretty much what I look for in a puppy, I am completely satisfied.
  
Piper's mother and her many newborn siblings were found on the tundra outside of a village under some debris. A couple of the puppies didn't make it, but a wonderful human went out of their way to fly them to Anchorage where they could be taken care of properly until they were ready for adoption. 
  
That's how she came to us, and she is fitting in rather nicely. The cats aren't happy about it, but my goofy lab is warming up to his new sister (other than the odd snarl to show she's overstepped her bounds). My wife, who is faced with working a stressful teaching job all day and taking care of the family alone while I'm away, at least gets the therapy that comes with snuggling and playing with a goofball puppy when she comes home. I think it's the best part of her day.
  
The best part of my day is when I Facetime with my wife after work and get some puppy time. Even if I can't play with my new puppy yet, I can at least see her. In a couple weeks I'll get my chance.
  
Given the choice between my phone and a puppy, I'll take the puppy every time. That's a time suck that's completely worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.