Guess I'm There.

The last couple days I've felt "off" on the bike. No snap in sprints, no sustained power, no real drive to push it... A rest day didn't help. A couple easier days didn't help. I am properly cooked, which was what I've been working towards the last couple months. That sort of progress just isn't sustainable. At a certain point, you hit the ceiling. The only real question is how hard you're going to bounce off the ceiling. Are you going to spiral out of control and crash, or are you going to recover and push the ceiling up a bit more?

Right now I'm in a somewhat good place to control the rebound. The only obstacle is my own tendency to start hammering away once I feel a little good. With a little planning, I might be able to milk my current level of fitness for a few months before the next crash. Then another bounce or two and I'm rolling into pavement season with something resembling form, only much weaker.

To be honest, I just want to be motivated to ride come spring and not worn down by a steady diet of overtraining. While I realize riding the trainer is what keeps me sane in remote locations, I also realize I don't find it particularly fun. It's what I do to prepare to have fun. Keeping that sort of perspective is important when the sun never rises above the ridge line and I'm disconnected from the real world. The trainer is not the end goal.

Still, I might feel better tomorrow and really go for it. I'm like that.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.