Unnatural Urges.

The last couple days I've been cruising various websites, looking longingly at things I haven't been attracted to in decades. For some reason, maybe hormonal, I've been drawn into this pattern that can have no positive outcome.

I started looking at guitars.

I think it started with an article I ran across about Epiphone coming out with a limited-edition '59 Les Paul model. Now, I was always more of a Fender guy because of the neck shape and sound, but I always could appreciate a classic Les Paul.

The Telecaster I purchased when I was 13 with over a year's savings (and which I still own) is very similar to a Les Paul. Bound body, sunburst finish, rosewood neck... It was my most prized possession for a very long time until one day I decided to stop playing. It was no longer fun.  Sure, I tried to buy my enthusiasm back with various purchases. High school was over and college had shown me that I wasn't made for that world. So, like most guys who used to be in a band when they were younger, I put it away and moved onto other things. Every decade or so I'd bring it out and play for a while. Maybe I'd buy a new amplifier or something, but the end result would be a general lack of interest. Back in the case it would go, and I would get on with life,

So yeah, I recognize the pattern here. My lust for Gibsons and G&Ls and any number of other guitars is a fleeting thing. I'd probably really enjoy playing with other people again, but like my cycling fitness, I'm in no shape for it. Then there's the question of time, money, and all that sort of stuff. It's part of my past.

The girl, ok woman (I'm just old and everyone is a fucking kid), we sold our first RV to is a musician. When she heard I used to play but didn't anymore, she wanted to buy me a guitar. I begged her not to. I have a guitar. I've had a few guitars that I bought, played, and sold when the mood faded. I don't need another one on the shelf.

But here I am looking at guitars again. Old habits die hard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.