Surprise, Surprise.

This weekend it seemed like half the country was celebrating the dawn of a new golden age and half the country believed the world was coming to an end.

They're all wrong.

____________________________________________________________________________

Thus began the long, wordy post I just deleted. The internet doesn't need any more commentary on the election, and my opinion really won't sway the discourse one way or another.

My fingers are worn to nubs unfollowing people on Facebook. People on both sides of the political chasm. Some of them cyclists. Some of them family. I just can't deal with the cacophony anymore.

I think a lot of people are that way. I think most people are decent when you get right down to it, and agree far more than they disagree when meeting face to face in a civil setting. Unfortunately, civil settings are in short supply these days. People would rather draw lines and dig in their heels than listen to another side of a given issue. It's sad.

I spent just shy of the last three decades doing my own minuscule part to man the walls. That's as ingrained in my identity as being a cyclist. I don't get wrapped up in the symbols and traditions of the enterprise, but I always respected the job. It's something I believe in.

Here's my hope-

I want the noise level to be dialed back a little. I want both sides to realize neither has a mandate from God and they should just get back to talking. I want our status as a stable, reliable partner on the world stage restored. That doesn't mean I want to play World Police like we have for decades, but I'd like to see some friendships and fences mended. Maybe a little self-reflection so we as a nation can see how far we've come and how far we still need to go.

That's it.

Oh, and I want all 24 hour news networks burned to the ground.

That would be nice too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.