The Posts You Never See

I write posts that never get published. Some get edited or transformed into something completely different, some never really convey what I want them to, and some are just plain wrong.
 
Most of the subjects come to me while I'm riding. I may come up with a particularly sarcastic remark to punctuate a given topic, and then I'll start up a draft when I get home. I may finish it up and immediately publish it, or sit on it for a while and review it later. It varies.
 
Recently I came up with a long rant about the difference between participation sports and competitive sports, and how you should never confuse the two. It was full of jabs at bucket-lister triathletes, the "everyone gets a medal" mentality, color runs, "competing" in charity rides, Strava, and everything else that is screwed up in society today.
 
It was completely wrong.
 
At the end of the day, I don't care why people get off the couch, as long as they actually make the effort. Far too many people never do, and I saw a lot of them tonight at the Feed Trough (aka The Golden Corral Buffet). If you ever want to feel slightly better about yourself and how much you weigh, buy a ticket for the freak show at your local all-you-can-eat gluttony fest. If you pause before loading up your own plate and digging in, and just take a look around at the clientele, your appetite for mass quantities of marginal food will decrease rapidly. I was holding my breath to avoid catching Type XIV diabetes.
 
Competitive or participation sports are just that, sports. They get people moving. Moving is good. People who move live healthier and more productive lives on average. Healthier people don't take up 1.5 seats on airplanes, forcing me to lean into the window and away from their labored breathing and profuse sweating. Healthier people spend more time at work and less time at the doctor. Healthier is better, and things that make people healthier are good.
 
Just because I'm a Type-A, competitive douchebag with the natural athletic talent of a pluot doesn't mean that everyone is compelled to do the same activities as I am. That would suck, as there would be more people showing me just how little ability I have. It's better if they collect their participant medal and stay out of my little pond.
 
If you ever read something here that strikes you as completely wrong, realize that you're only seeing a small sampling of how truly stupid I can be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.