Tubulars

I started gluing up my tubular tires a few days ago. For those not familiar with tubular tires, instead of having a separate tire and tube that is easily repaired in the field (a clincher), the tube is sewn up inside the tire and then glued on the rim, making the simple flat repair process of a clincher a few magnitudes more difficult. Why would someone opt for a more difficult method? Partly because they ride smoother than a clincher tire. However, I prefer them for racing because the bicycle industry hasn't quite figured out how to make an affordable full-carbon clincher that won't delaminate and explode when you try to stop. Tubular wheels are a little more durable, and will allow you to travel 100' further down the hill before they explode.

The advantages don't stop there. As everyone knows, deep-section carbon rims are more aerodynamic than aluminum rims, and therefore more intimidating to the competition. So, to gain the psychological advantage and avoid having my wheels explode during technical descents, I spend hours every year gluing tubular tires to my collection of carbon wheels of questionable parentage.

It's an archaic art that I completely suck at.
 
I took the first set of tubulars I ever mounted into a bike shop and the tech looked them over, pried here and there, examined the large splatters of glue that ran over the brake tracks, and said, "well, at least they won't come off". You see, because the glue is the main thing that keeps the tire attached to the rim, I used a lot of it. "The bigger the blob, the better the job" was how we used criticize poor soldering skills back when I used to actually fix electronics instead of just throwing them away. Now I was exhibiting that same lack of skill in a new field. He was right, though. They didn't come off. It took me an hour at the end of the season to pry them off, destroying the expensive handmade tires in the process. It took even longer to clean up the dried glue boogers so I had a suitable surface to glue new tires on the next year.
 
I'm not much better at it now, but I do enjoy the process. It's like a badge of honor that I would take the time and trouble to half-ass the job. Each layer of glue that goes on is an investment in the season, a little prayer that I might catch a glimmer of a good result. I'll probably have glue residue on my hands for weeks.
 
I'll glue them as neatly as I can, hang them up to cure, and take them down for race day. Hopefully this year my prayers will be answered.
 
If not, I'll do it all over again next year.

Comments

  1. Buy yourself some 1/2 inch acid flux brushes from the local Home Depot. They run about $.50 so stock up...

    Dip that in pot of glue and then apply to 2-4" section of wheel, rotate 2-4" and repeat until done.

    For the tubular lightly inflate until it turns inside out and hang from something. Same routine as wheel.

    Three (light) coats on wheel and two on the tubular, let dry between coats. Let dry before mounting.

    After mounting lightly inflate and adjust so that the amount of side wall showing on both sides is the same. The deflate and re-inflate to > 100psi and review mounting. I like to mount on bike and ride a short (couple hundred feet) just to set them into the wheel at that point. Then leave overnight.

    Don't forget to stretch the tubular overnight before starting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart-
      I use those little tubes of Vittoria glue, which complicates the process a bit. The glue always comes out thick and stringy. I never bought the can before, but with the number of tubulars I now own, I guess I should.
      The latest set didn't come out too bad, so maybe in a couple decades I'll do something I'm proud of. That, or road tubeless will be a viable option.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.