Nothing.

I didn't get anything on Christmas. The wife either. My kids got a big goose egg. Not even the dog.
  
This year the older boys are away, so we're celebrating on a date to be determined later.
  
On years like this, we save a ton of money by hitting the after-Christmas sales, as the retailers figure out that they were far too optimistic in their pre-season ordering. That's not to say we don't have a bunch of crap stockpiled already. We just didn't have the same urgency acquiring it.
  
The wife hasn't dragged me to the mall, led me by hand up to the display, and specifically pointed out what she wanted yet. I'll dutifully purchase it, wrap it as carefully as my clumsy hands will allow, she'll open it on the appointed day, and will somehow try to appear pleased.
  
I ordered my own gift this year, one guaranteed to arrive before Christmas. It's scheduled to be delivered on December 29th.  Oh, the joys of living in Alaska.
  
Instead, the family and I slept in. The kids did not wake me up early. I eventually had to get up to let the dog out, but that was the extent of my schedule. A ride on the trainer, eating whatever was in the house that looked convenient, strategic naps throughout the day... The less stress and obligation, the better.
  
Not Christmas sometimes is better than Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.