Squirming In My Saddle.

The new Specialized Power Expert is mounted on the Storck. Nothing will tell you if a saddle is poorly positioned or completely wrong for you faster than a stationary trainer. The time grinding away in more or less one position, your lady parts marinating in gallons of sweat, is perfect for getting an indication of just how intolerable a particular saddle will be over the long term.
 
My Shimano Pro Stealth saddle is coming on the slow boat from England, where I got it for significantly less than I could have from any other vendor. I have more time than money these days, and I have very little time.
 
The Specialized Power Expert saddle was a little closer to home. Prices on these are generally more regulated, so I could be smug about buying local from the neighborhood bike shop. Think global, buy local... unless you can get it cheaper on eBay, then screw that noise. In both cases, I didn't go for the top-tier saddle. Metal rails are just fine for me, especially since I don't know if either one will work. I can always get the nicer model later once I figure out which one hurts my taint less.
  
The guy at the Specialized shop said he installed his a little nose up, so that's what I did too. The first ride didn't go so well, as I didn't account for the height of the saddle and my usual preferences for saddle position. I just threw it on there, eyeballed it, and jumped on the bike. In retrospect, it was probably not the best idea.
 
Thirty minutes into my ninety minute workout, I started feeling it. My calves started to ache and I had to stand periodically. My legs were being slightly extended every revolution, not enough to cause my hips to rock but just enough to over-extend them. I finished the workout, then started fiddling, using the aches and rubbed parts as a guide. Probably not the most efficient means of fitting, but eventually I either find something that works or I grind my nether regions down to conform.
 
The next couple of workouts went better, so I may be on to something.
 
  
  
  
 
  
 
    
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.