How Many Do I Need?

As I write this, I'm sitting in a recliner in front of my newest bike, which also happens to be my oldest bike.
  
This one is a 2002 Merlin Agilis, a race-oriented titanium bike which had S&S couplers installed at some point. I was surfing eBay one day, came across the listing, started bidding, and before I knew it I was the proud owner of yet another bike I really didn't need.
  
I already have a steel Ritchey Breakway CX that has traveled all over the state with me. It's seen nothing but virtual miles on the trainer since the day I built it up a year and a half ago. Despite the best efforts of TSA, its orange power coat looks as good as the day I had it applied. It doesn't creak or show any sign of weakness. It has served me well.

I just had S&S couplers installed on a Moots Compact. It's sitting at home in its case, half built because I simply haven't had the time between trips.
  
So, why in the hell would I need a third travel bike? That's an excellent question that I have no logical answer for. All I can say is... I wanted it.
  
The Moots Compact is simply too nice to drag around to the radar sites and subject to TSA, regional baggage handlers, and a life of stationary sweat. It's destined to be my bike for travel to places where I really want a nice bike to ride. Places with real asphalt. Places I used to drag my full-sized bike case to, which required a good part of the capacity of a minivan to lug around. My kids were just squeezed around it until we reached our destintion. Now I just have a suitcase-sized bike that I will actually want to ride.
  
The Ritchey Breakaway is a solid design that requires no special tools, but it does have some drawback for me. One is the fact that it's steel. It's heavy and susceptible to corrosion without a little extra care. Next, it's a 'cross bike, which would encourage me to ride off road and therefore squarely into trees. I have a history and the mended bones to back that fear up. It was a compromise, because despite my search for a BreakAway Road, when I was initially in the market for a used travel bike the CX was the only one I could find in my size. It was a proof of concept rather than my desired end state.  Also, because of the coupling design, the frame sections are a bit large for the S&S hard case, requiring a bit of arranging to get in there. Not a problem after a couple times packing the case, but if a TSA agent decides to completely empty it? It's happened before, and I've picked up my case off the carousel only to find it backed badly with zip ties holding it shut. Even with the TSA net holding everything together, some agents want to get handsy with my stuff. Part of the fun of flying these days.
  
But the real reason the Ritchey is getting replaced? I wanted a travel bike that would inspire me to throw a leg over it on days when all I want to do is curl up in bed and eat Nilla Wafers. That sort of lack of motivation happens all too often, especially after a long day at work. The titanium is easy to clean, and the classic lines of the frame are easy on the eyes. When the opportunity presents itself during work trips, I'll configure it to ride on actual pavement. It's no Moots, but it isn't far off. I will find it a much more enjoyable ride on the road than the Ritchey, which rode like what it was- a 'cross bike. I have very specific tastes.
  
So far, the only real drawback to the Merlin has been the S&S wrench I now have to carry. Not a big deal, as it fits in my small toolkit without any problems. I can live with it.
  
So, the Ritchey will go to the bike swap, on Craigslist, on eBay, or wherever it is that people buy bikes these days. I'll likely take a hit on the sale, but I always do. It has given me a lot of hours of service in the 18 months I've owned it, so I have no complaints. Hopefully it will go to someone who will use it well.
  
In the category of coupled travel bikes, I found out how many was too many.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.