Self-Quarantine.

It's hard to get much more isolated than where I am now. If you look at a map of Alaska, and imagine it's the silhouette of bear reaching out to Russia, with the bear's ear being Utqiagvik (or Barrow for you die-hard racists), I'm sitting on the very tip of the bear's nose. There's four of us here. Until the 80MPH winds roared through and blew the pack ice away, we were outnumbered by polar bears. Probably still are.
  
My wife is at home in Anchorage, dealing with school closings and toilet paper shortages. I don't envy her. I'm isolated from that sort of stuff. Not many people coming or going in the short term.
  
I hope it has mostly blown over by the time I head for home. With my luck, it will probably just be hitting the villages around then, and I'll get a face full of COVID-19 as soon as I step off the plane.

Welcome back.
  
Like everyone else, I'm in wait and see mode, hunkering down and waiting it out. How bad will it get? Not that coronavirus has really changed my day-to-day life here in isolation. However, I won't be here forever, and I had plans that may or may not change based on what happens in the weeks and months ahead. Most of them involve me riding my bike, because I'm a self-centered bastard. I'd rather not have those plans get hosed because a market in China couldn't keep game animals separate. When you boil it down the its purest essence, this whole pandemic thing is an terrible inconvenience to me. See? Self-centered bastard.
  
So, like nearly every other roadie in the world, I'm on Zwift. This morning there were nearly 8,000. You know how hard it is to win a sprint against 8,000 other riders? Still, at least people are staying active. Of course, I'd rather they just sit on the couch and eat potato chips, so I'd have a chance of hanging with the pack in a race, but I guess you can't always get what you want.
  
We'll see how this all ends up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.