Blowing In The Wind.

My bike faces the large window in my room. The sill on the fixed side of the window holds my TV so I don't have to watch Zwift on my relatively small computer screen. The sill on the opening side holds a fan to hopefully bring cooling air towards me as I ride.
  
You'd think that since I'm on the northwest tip of Alaska, I wouldn't have a problem keeping cool this time of year. In fact, it all depends on which way the wind blows. When the wind is coming from certain directions, all I need is to open the window a crack to stay cool. When the winds are coming from other directions, all of the heat from the building is pushed towards my room, so the fan has little impact. My room heats up. I bake.
  
It's really an issue when I'm sleeping. I like a colder room at night. I can go to sleep all cozy at 55-60F, only to wake up in the middle of the night sweating at 80F because the wind shifted. I can go to sleep with the bare minimum on, only to wake up shivering. Not really much I can do about it. The hot air comes through the door frames and any number of cracks and holes, pushed from one side of the building to the other.
  
Sometime blown snow comes through my cracked window and is picked up by my fan, pelting me in the face as I ride. Makes Zwift a little more realistic, I guess.
  
Even indoors I'm subject to Mother Nature's whims.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.