Greener Grass.

So, thanks to the Alaska Governor's mandates (which I think are prudent), I've been extended a couple weeks here while the guy who replaces me is in quarantine. I'm in a safe place with little to no chance of coronavirus infection, earning good money, with plenty to eat, and relatively comfortable surroundings (provided I don't have to work outside).
  
And still, I'd rather be elsewhere. I'd rather be home, with my family and dogs, sleeping in my own bed, taking care of projects that have been neglected for far too long, riding my bike on the thawing roads I keep seeing posted on Facebook... It isn't as lucrative financially, but I'll take the hit.
  
Instead, I pass my free time riding a trainer that is constantly and loudly threatening to blow up when I least expect it. I rack up meaningless numbers, training for meaningless goals. I try to find the end of the Internet, watching quality content like the Tour de Quarantine. Not exactly Flanders or Roubaix, but it helps pass the hours. 
  
I see people complain about being cooped up at home with their families. Maybe they have a point, but at this moment I'd rather be in their shoes. I think they have more options than they realize.
  
My more awesome friends are out there doing their usual awesome things, in a more socially distanced sort of way. Backcountry skiing, cycling, running (not that I condone that activity), and all sorts of other things fill their hours. I'd be lying if I didn't admit to jealousy.
  
So, on the day I'm supposed to be winging my way to freedom, I'm faced with another two weeks of isolation. I hope they don't extend me again, because I might start roaming the halls muttering "red rum".
  
I guarantee the grass is greener where you are right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.