Just. Wrong.

When it comes to cycling shoes, I like a stiff sole and a soft, compliant upper that wraps around my feet evenly. My flippers are pretty wide and weird in places, so there are some other design features which make or break a shoe for me, but the soles and upper are my baseline.
  
I'd been wearing Specialized shoes for a while, mainly the Pro Road variety until they mangled the design enough that it no longer worked for me and I couldn't find suitable used/NOS replacements. All good things must come to an end.
  
While I was casting about for a replacement, I picked up a pair of Specialized shoes designed more for endurance than performance. Worst shoes ever. I mean, I have a pile of shoes that didn't fit for one reason or another. When you buy on clearance or on the used market, returns aren't always possible and I've been too lazy to offload them. That said, they were all good shoes with well thought-out designs that encouraged comfort and performance relative to their price points. These Specialized shoes, however, were designed by someone who has never ridden a bike.
  
The soles are plastic instead of carbon, which is somewhat to be expected given the price point the shoes were positioned at. That said, they flex in ways that are most uncomfortable during long rides and hard efforts. Specialized marketed this flexibility as an asset on long rides to combat foot fatigue, but I've found they increase foot cramps and other pain. Some of this can probably be attributed to the fact wide sizes use the same last as normal sizes, and the forefoot of a wider foot can flex the sole differently. With a more flexible sole, it just makes it that much worse.
  
However, the sole wasn't as bad as the upper. Even after three years, the uppers on mine are a struggle to slip on my feet. The synthetic material hasn't managed to adapt to my feet in that time, so I usually have to adjust the tongue a couple times to make sure it's positioned correctly. Otherwise it's going to irritate my foot in some way that will be distracting during a workout or ride.
  
I really don't like these shoes. When my rattiest pair of Pro Roads finally died, I dedicated these shoes to the trainer where they would still provide some useful service. I was hoping to wear them out so I wouldn't feel guilty about tossing them in the garbage. I mean, when they are properly positioned, they fit my feet well enough. I figured a few years of abuse would kill the inner lining and I would be free.
  
Nope.
  
Every time I sit down to put them on I reflect on how much I don't like them. Not a great way to start a workout, but it's become part of the routine. Heart rate monitor, bibs, jersey, socks, and then fuck, I hate these shoes.
  
I'm coming to realize that I need to overcome my hoarding tendencies and dump them. I have other shoes that can fill the role admirably. Shoes that fit well and don't inspire feelings of loathing. Shoes that, while not quite optimal for road use anymore, still have a few years of trainer abuse in them.
  
Life is too short to wear shitty shoes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Sad