You Had One Job.

I came home after a long time away, full of trainer fitness.

Almost three weeks later, I still haven't gotten on my bike.
  
It started with removing all of the top soil on half of my front yard and transporting it to my back yard. By hand. Then there was a matter of spreading 5 cubic yards of D1 gravel over said space to create a parking pad for the RV. By hand. Every night I would crawl in to bed, my back wrecked and my hands barely able to close.
  
When that was done, I had to get our old RV ready to sell and our new RV ready to use. So, I spent the rest of the first week installing solar panels and electronics on the new RV and chasing down propane leaks. A laundry list of RV projects stared me in the face every morning. Little by little, I worked my way through them.
  
When that was done, I loaded up the bike and kit in the RV, planning on riding while we were camping that weekend.

The next morning, I opened my eyes and shooting pain drove through my head. I quickly shut them. Opened the right eye. Pain. Opened the left eye. Significantly less pain. Called my optometrist- no answer (COVID closure). Called a fellow Mighty Mite coach who happens to be an optometrist and she snuck me in her schedule. Found out my right eye was packed with white blood cells (shouldn't have been), and I needed some really expensive eye drops to fix it. So much for riding. All weekend long the bike glared at me from across the fire, but I still wasn't guilted into riding.
  
The second week was some of the most beautiful weather I've seen in a long time. Eye was still recovering, so I did more projects. Built a rack for firewood and loaded up a half cord. Beats buying little bundles at $5 a pop. Built a rack for the canoe and kayaks so they weren't constantly in the way. Reseeded the back yard that was killed by the trampoline's shade the last two years. Cleaned up debris from two years of projects that never seemed to get sorted out.
  
I got a lot done, but I didn't ride.
  
Now I find I will be quarantined at King Salmon for the whole two weeks I'm slated to be there, so I will probably have to ride the trainer the whole time. I think I'm going to bring the kit necessary just in case, but I'm not holding my breath. Chances are, I'm screwed.
  
After that, three months of not working.
  
I'll probably find another excuse not to ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Sad