Enough of This Whining.

I signed up. I lined up. I raced.
  
After weeks, if not months, of wondering if I was ever going to pin on a number again, I just went ahead and did it. Technically I had signed up for the Moose Run TT a couple weeks ago, but since it was cancelled it really doesn't count. I skipped the Patter Valley hill climb on principle and couldn't race the Kulis Crit (not sure I'm mentally ready for that), but I figured now was the time to put up or shut up. I'd rather know where I stand.
  
Knowing is better than wondering.
  
Well, after the first stage of the Spring Stage Race, I know. It isn't pretty. I couldn't sustain much power, so the whole ten miles was a series of alternating sprints and spins. The finishing time wasn't completely horrible, so at least that's a positive sign. I got absolutely crushed by a flying Dark Lord Bill Fleming, who got a PR by a good margin thanks to what I can only assume is the most sophisticated doping program this side of Team Sky. I was second for Masters Men 45+, several time zones behind Bill. That actually sounds better than it actually was, because the level of competition for the first stage was lower than it has been in the past. Still, thanks to omnium scoring, I'm only three points behind Bill instead of three days.
  
That's one race. I actually did better than I expected, based on previous results on the course. I wish I could have done better, but I'll take it.
  
Three more races left in the Spring Stage Race.
  
The second stage is a hill climb. It's going to suck, even though it isn't that steep or particularly long. Adding to that is one of the fastest Masters racers is going to be lining up after skipping the first race. Because of the omnium scoring, it's completely possible to skip a race and yet win the series. I've been sniped like that before, but I realize I just plain got beat. So, I have a fast racer signed up who just happens to be on the team of Dark Lord Bill, meaning their team has two really solid options and therefore can play the team game. The rest of us, with no team members in the class, are screwed- unless, like most amateur races, teammates chase each other down. This I can completely support. 
 
It's stupid, given my current condition, for me to think about GC position and race tactics and all of that stuff. Then again, I'm actually encouraged by the very notion that I am thinking about such things- even in a delusional way. That's a good sign.
 
Saturday morning has the Bodenburg road race, as close as we get up here to racing in Belgium or Holland. At least, it's the one race you're most likely to see echelons in. Other than a small bump to the finish, it's pretty much a flat race. Despite being tailor-made for me, I've always found a way to lose. I expect this will be no different.
 
Saturday afternoon we do a crit on a drag strip. I hope it's really, really well-swept, because dragsters have a habit of dropping small pieces everywhere. Then there's the strong chance of rain and wind. Oh year, and a pack of riders I don't know or particularly trust...
 
Yeah, you can say my delusional thought processes don't necessarily match my fitness or confidence. Still, old habits die hard. I'll line up, try to stay upright, try to stay on the wheel, and we'll see what happens. Maybe something good. Maybe something less good.
 
We'll see... 
 
At least I won't have to wonder anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.