Pushing It.

I haven't done a field test in forever to test my functional threshold power (FTP). Without a real training plan or any specific goals, I haven't seen the need.

Instead, I just picked a number to set my FTP at in Training Peaks. When I get a notification from the website, I up the number and adjust my ranges. It's probably on the low side currently, but it's in the ballpark. 

It's also nowhere near where it once was. I'm not the same rider. The decrease in power is more than a little disheartening, but I have to be realistic. It's what I earned. Age, injuries, and life have taken their toll, but it really comes down to the work. I fell off the wagon and onto the couch more times than I care to admit. 

It's quite possible that I could be as strong, if not stronger than I was when I was 40, if I only stayed faithful to a training plan. But that wouldn't be me. Once I achieved a goal, I lost focus and chased things that sabotaged my long-term progress. As the years piled on, I ran short on clearly-defined goals. Without goals, I stopped training, and instead just rode around a lot. As time went on, I rode less. My fitness suffered, and eventually I got here. A+B=C.

So now I'm not really training, but I'm trying to push numbers. See where I can get without getting too far into the weeds with intervals and other productive nonsense. Instead, when I feel like grunting out a steady effort, I do it. When I feel like sprinting, I jump. When I feel cooked, I back off. Once a week I don't get on the bike. Other than the daily duration, nothing else is really planned. What's in the head and legs is what I do.

This will probably get me most of the way there, maybe in the 80% range. That last 20% is going to require a more structured approach that I'm not sure my mental state or schedule will permit. Maybe 80% is good enough. I'm not there, so I have no idea. 80% is a number I pulled out of my ass, just like that initial FTP. Maybe I won't reach it. Maybe I'll blow through it. I have no idea, but it's something to shoot for.

Having a goal is good for me. It keeps me motivated to get on the trainer on mornings where I'd rather stay under the covers. Once I'm moving, it's a lot easier. Newton's first law.

If I can keep pushing it without burning out, maybe I'll get there. Wherever there is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.