Thank You For Being Awesome.

Today I'm going to switch things up a bit and be positive.
 

It would have been all too easy lately to go into a deep, blue funk after the way my season has gone. From the series of child-borne illnesses I suffered this winter to the GC-killing wreck at the Tour of Fairbanks to the fractured clavicle, this year has been a rolling train wreck, complete with exploding HAZMAT boxcars dumping toxic chemicals into the main aquifer.
 

And yet, I feel fortunate. I feel happy. I feel relaxed from all of the opioids coursing through my body, but that's another blog post.
 

When I step back and think about it, I'm plugged into a whole lot of awesome. The cycling and alpine skiing communities in Alaska have a whole lot of people that work very hard to make life better for the rest of us self-centered bastards. They organize events, lobby for infrastructure, volunteer countless hours for projects, and generally try to leave things better than they found them.
 

I appreciate it. Even though I don't always agree with how they go about it and occasionally (often) butt heads with them, their efforts are not in vain. While it seems most of the world is spiraling down the toilet, they are creating opportunities for people to get out and have fun. Fun is not something to be taken for granted, and I likes me some fun. That I can have fun doing my quirky, euro-centric sporting activities is largely thanks to a relatively small group of dedicated people.
 

You're awesome. That doesn't mean I don't want to punch you in the face sometimes, but on the whole the community is better because you're out there giving a shit. When I climb on my bike or click into my ski bindings, you contributed to keeping me motivated and helped provide the outlets to pursue whatever the hell it is I'm chasing.

 
Next time you're out and about, have a beer to celebrate a job well done. I won't be paying for it, but at least the thought is there.

 
Who said it was a thankless job?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.