Change of Pace.

I could have ridden Friday after school.

To be honest, it was one of the nicer days I have experienced down here. After a return to heat and humidity for the last week, north winds blew in a temperature drop of 10 to 15 degrees. The idea of riding without a coating of greasy sweat appealed to me. The idea of not having to down countless water bottles in an ultimately futile struggle against dehydration was a big drawing point as well.
 
And yet, I didn't ride.
 
Instead, I went to an Octoberfest deal at the club and tried a bunch of beers I really didn't like. Imagine going to a mall, walking into a Yankee Candle store, popping the top on a Halloween-themed jar, and downing the liquid contents. At least three of the pumpkin-flavored beers I tried were exactly like that. Other brewers started with solid base beers and then went too far, adding fruits and flavors that detracted from the final product. Out of the 20-some brews they had on display, I think I liked two.
 
What I did like was the German food. I hit the bratwurst and pretzels and schnitzel pretty hard, until I couldn't stuff another bite in my face. Then I had another pretzel.
 
After a steady diet of Arby's meatcraft and cheap, frozen burritos, it was a nice change of pace, and I tried to make the most of it.

Not riding and stuffing my face. I could get used to this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.