Pardon the Interruption.

The other day I got on Zwift to see Joey had just started as well. I was in the mood to have my clock thoroughly cleaned, so I clicked and magically transported to his location. He was putting out a steady 3.3 w/kg, which for him is 240w. For me? About 280w. Still, I tried to jump on and hang. I got dropped. I pedaled harder. I got dropped faster. I pedaled harder, and nearly came to a stop. Each time Joey did a u-turn and came back, then blew by like I was standing still.
  
Hmmm...
  
I was killing myself and the Zwift display only read 250w at best. I knew I was dead, but a relatively short duration effort like that should not be that bad. Something was very, very wrong.
  
Then I glanced down at my Garmin, which was set for a 30 second average. 320w. Not an astronomical number, even by my weak-sauce standards, but a couple zones higher than Zwift was reporting. Since Zwift estimates speed by w/kg, there was a reason I was dying to go backwards.
  
I changed my battery in my Quarq, but I was still having issues. I tried a different bike with a different Quarq- same problem. Then my Garmin's readings started drifting up and down. I removed it from the bar mount and suddenly it stabilized.
  
Hmmm again.
  
Two different displays having issues reading the ANT+ signal from two different power meters. Maybe it was something in the air.
   
My first inclination was to blame my neighbor's dope-smoking kid, but I realized that was just me looking for an excuse. I've ridden in more interference-rich environments with no issues, and having a couple walls and some space between me and Captain Puffs-A-Lot and whatever he does in his garage apartment all day probably is sufficient shielding. Besides, it was 5:00 AM and I doubt he would be awake.
  
Looking around, my eyes settled on the large subwoofer sitting right in front of my bike's front tire. I unplugged it and moved it to the back of the room. I unplugged my surround sound system and moved it as well. I unplugged the wireless XBox controller from my computer which I've never used but had a comforting blue light.
  
I got on the bike. No dropouts.
  
I'm not saying it's fixed, because I need to have several workouts before I start adding the pieces back in to isolate the cause.
  
I got a ride in where my exertion level was recorded somewhat accurately. My heart rate was way too high, confirming that yes, I'm cooked.
  
Still, it's nice to be making progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.