What Part of Easy Don't You Understand?

Bart threw out the invite at the Destroyer ride. His girlfriend was wanting to do a more relaxed group ride, so they were going to join some other riders for a ride from the Latimer Community Center. Planned average was 17.5 MPH (sounds kinda specific to me). Since I was trying to back off a bit this week, but still wanted to get in some miles, I said I was in.
  
I hadn't ridden much around Latimer in years. My only attempt to make a posted ride this trip nobody else showed up for. I didn't think it was still a thing. Nice roads out that way, but I couldn't quite remember where they were, and was too lazy to try to find the old GPS files. As I found new routes, Latimer just faded to the back of my mind.
 
I was pleasantly surprised to see a nice group at the community center Sunday morning when I rode up. Despite the time change and extra hour to be lazy, I was still slow to get out of bed. I made it with five minutes to spare, which is cutting it a little close when you're riding instead of driving. 
  
The group set off a relaxed pace, right around the announced speed. Since I didn't know where I was, I settled in the middle of the pack and cruised along, talking to various riders and generally relaxing. Occasionally a tandem would come to the front, pulling on the downhills and flatter sections. When it went uphill, they went a little backwards, which isn't surprising considering how much their very nice bike must have weighed. 
  
In one of these situations, a rider jumped. I couldn't help myself. I was boxed in for a few seconds before I followed, bridged, and together we built a significant gap before we reached one of the traditional regroup spots. I silently called myself an idiot before we started off again, vowing to slow it down and take it easy.
  
That vow was broken five miles later, where I breezed by the tandem on a hill and kept going. A couple hammers joined up, and before I knew it the group was out of sight. They seemed inclined to make the break stick, so we settled into a pace six miles per hour faster than the intended speed. Crap.
  
We reached the community center fifteen minutes before the last riders. I reflected that those people were the smart ones.
 
What amazed me was the restraint Bart showed when we jumped. He must really like his girlfriend, who seems like a pretty awesome person and a really good rider. He'll probably show up at the Destroyer well rested and make us all hurt.
 
I'll be cooked from my easy ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.