Tearing It Up.

I overslept.
  
No, that's bullshit. I woke up when my alarm clock went off, then played with my phone to avoid actually getting out of bed. Then I dragged myself from under the covers, kitted up, grabbed a water bottle and the Garmin, and eventually found my way to the trainer.
  
When I got there, Zwift announced it had do a little update, which failed. Three times. Then I restarted the computer and application, and it finally went through. Ten minutes after I started pedaling, I finally logged onto Zwift and was riding the fake roads. As I was already warmed up, I pushed a little harder than I had planned. To be honest, I had been pushing harder than planned while waiting for the update to complete. It was 45 minutes before I eased back a bit and tried to do something resembling my planned workout.
 
When I jumped for a sprint, everything went a little shaky. It felt like the trainer had experienced a major structural failure. Further examination indicated that it had. What follows may be a little bit dry and technical for some of you, but bear with me. The four cross-headed screwy things that hold the upright thingy to the horizontal thingies loosened up. Such was the state of their unscrewitude that three of them fell out completely and the final late adopter had put in its retirement papers.
 
Over time, all five of my watts had loosened things up pretty significantly. Just like with my bikes, I ignored all of the creaks and groans until the threat of impending doom spurred me into a dynamic response. I put the screws back in and tightened them to the proper torque, in this case a grunt plus one turn. I probably should have added some of that fancy thread-locking goop, but reaching into the drawer two feet behind me seemed like an awful lot of effort. I'll get them next time.
 
Satisfied I had sufficiently repaired the trainer, I jumped back on and started cranking away again. As I wound up for another sprint, the trainer started rocking back and forth instead of the side to side motion it exhibited before. I quickly realized that I had accidentally tightened the front footy-thingy while messing with the screwy things. I didn't want to stop pedaling, so I just went with it and finished the workout.
 
A smart man would have gotten off the trainer afterwards and spent the three or four seconds adjusting the footy things, then gotten on with his day. I'm not that guy. I left it in its unaligned state in the hopes I would forget all about it tomorrow, thus providing me with more blog post fodder.
  
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.