Can't Place The Face.

After three weeks of illness and other conflicts keeping me away, I showed up to the Dome on Sunday morning. I arrived just as they were opening, and quickly hustled getting my bike off the rack, out of the 5F temperatures, and into a warmer environment.
  
I have to say the staff is nicer and more efficient since they re-opened. Big improvement. Also nice was that the walkers are no longer on the track with the bikes, meaning there are fewer conflicts and scary moments. We can run three-wide packs with room on either side to pass or be passed. It's nice.
  
When I first got there, I didn't recognize anyone. There were already several people on the track and suiting up, but none of them I could place. It was like traveling and showing up to a group ride or race- lots of people but you're the odd man out. Don't get me wrong, this is a very very good thing. More people means this thing is more sustainable and makes it more likely the Dome management will be more likely to continue supporting it. 
  
Eventually some of the regulars started filtering in, and we settled into a routine. A small pack would form, we'd all chat away at a Zone 2 pace until it was time to do something, then we'd line out behind Dave Henke for ten laps or so, and afterwards we'd go back to chatting for a while. Others did their own thing in smaller groups or alone. We still haven't laid down any real guideline for which activities (TT intervals, pack riding, recovery) should happen in which lanes, so there was some zig-zagging from time to time as faster groups overtook slower ones. Nobody went down and I didn't see any significant close-calls, so maybe that's not necessary. Then again, I'll probably be the one that breaks the trend and screws everything up.
 
As I had to go coach at Alyeska, I bailed after an hour of riding around in a circle, but the rest were merrily spinning away. It's good to see so many people taking advantage of the opportunity to ride skinny tire bikes. The way the snow has been falling lately, I'm not so sure we're going to have the super-early (mid-March) snow/ice-free roads like we've had for the last couple years. The first Moose Run TT isn't until the latter part of April, and we may need the extra time for the roads to clear. Then again, a warm March could wipe it away quickly. Consistent warm temperatures without significant freeze/thaw cycles could knock all of those piles down and drain them off the pavement. It really depends on how the weather goes in the next couple weeks.
 
A protracted breakup or rainy spring means the single track will take longer to set up, and a lot of the mountain bike folks will be on the road. Some of them will be racing, which always makes for some big early season races. Conversely, a dry spring means we don't see many of the knobby tire people.
  
Personally, I'd rather see more unfamiliar faces, even if they're faster than I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.