Wound Up.

Saturday night I just couldn't shut down my brain, which rarely happens. Usually I have trouble engaging it. As a result, I didn't fall asleep until 4:00 AM, which meant waking up at 6:00 AM Sunday morning to ride at the Dome wasn't going to happen. Sure, I woke up when my alarm went off, but it took me about a microsecond to decide to set the alarm for a later time and just skip riding.
 
Don't get me wrong, I wanted to ride with the gang, but I needed as many seconds of sleep as I could get for Mighty Mites. Some ball sport game thingy caused our schedule to be adjusted, so we were going to ski straight through lunch and finish early so people could cheer for their team to move the thing to the other thing. Normally this wouldn't be much of an issue, but temperatures were in the lower single digits and my hardcore little band of miscreants were complaining of frozen feet and other trivial things.
 
The Dome would have to wait another week.
 
I had trashed my legs the day before on the trainer, so I really didn't have anything left to give. My hour of laps would have been a tepid affair before I pulled the plug. Better to take the day off and try again on Monday.
 
I hate nights where my mind fixates on problems with no good solutions and ends up leaving me frustrated and angry and tired. By the time I realize what is wrong, it's too late to do anything about it. It kills the next couple of days as my sleep patterns are disrupted. I hate relying on medicine to provide a reasonable amount of sleep, partly because I' too lazy to get into the habit of taking it. That, and I used to be pretty good at sleep. I could do it anywhere and at any time. My high school transcript bears this out.
 
Sooner or later my brain will work out all of the world's problems and I'll be able to get some sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.