Not Expected.

I wasn't expecting the check that came in the mail Friday. There was no warning, just a check from my mortgage company for a decent amount of money. I didn't cash it immediately. Their offices were close by the time I opened the envelope. I waited all weekend, wondering what it could be for. Was there a lawsuit settlement or some other legal thing that brought this windfall? Was it a mistake? Not knowing and afraid to spend it lest they yank it back when I least could afford it, I sat on my hands.
  
Well... actually my hands went into their usual mode of cruising the interwebs for all sorts of things. Time trial frames. Wheelsets. Groupsets. Any number of other things I really don't need and am not sure I really want. It was a conditioned reflex action.
  
Instead, I decided to do the adult thing. I decided to pay off my daughter's braces, buy some nice new pots and pans (our are 15 years old and showing their age), and give my wife money for her 40th birthday trip to New York City.
 
I'm not going, which is good, because I hate people. New York had a few people last time I was there, so naturally I hated the city. Her father and sister are going, and I get to stay home with the kids and feed them cold cereal and Poptarts for a week or so. If they're still breathing by the end of her vacation, I'll put in my nomination for Father of the Year.
  
So what was the money for? Turns out they've been overcharging me interest for the last decade or so and finally caught the clerical error. Not being very smart (their favorite kind of customer), I just paid what they told me to. Math has never been my strong suit, and even if it was, I doubt I would have caught the problem.
 
So the daughter's teeth are paid for, we're no longer ingesting flakes of non-stick coating with every meal, and my wife will have a good time in a human cesspool. As much as it hurts me to say it, I think those were better uses for the money than yet another bike that goes far faster than I do. My backlog of bike projects is already big enough. Another project bike that probably wouldn't shave any time off of my pitifully slow time trials doesn't measure up to pretty chompers and a happy wife.
 
Your mileage may vary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.