Playing It By Ear.

Saturday was intended to be my big day on the bike. It's always the big day on my bike, because it's the one day a week I'm most likely to have plenty of time to ride. Even if my wife has something planned for the day, I can usually get up somewhat early-ish and be done before she gets up and gets the kids moving. It's the one day a week where volume is a possibility.
 
I didn't get on my bike on Saturday. I woke up and didn't feel like it. I went back to sleep. I got up an hour or so later and still had no interest in the trainer. I stuffed my face with all of the wrong foods and lazed around on the hammock instead, flipping through channels and catching up on series. I got nothing meaningful accomplished.
 
I promised myself I was going to get on in the afternoon, but instead took the family to a local burger place. Tommy's Burger Stop has the best burgers in Anchorage, hands down. When I got back home, the food coma hit and I was down for the count.
 
No big deal. I just shifted my planned rest day from Monday and pressed. I have to give myself permission to fail once in a while, because it's going to happen. Failure is the central pillar of my training plan.
 
After a day of skiing in addition to my usual moderate loops at the Dome, this morning was not a peak performance workout. Mostly I felt beat up and old. Encouraged by my personal record levels of 'meh', I planned the rest of the week to ensure even more sub-par performance and failure. I decided to string out a series of stacked high-intensity days without a rest day or other easy day in the mix. Hammer it out until my legs fall off.
   
I expect that will happen today or tomorrow.
  
From there, I'll just make it up as I go along, in keeping with this year's highly-regimented training plan. I must not deviate, lest some glimmer of potential crop up and lead me to believe I have any hope in this sport. I'm trying my best to stamp that sort of thing out.
 
Now if you'll excuse me, the sun is warming the couch, so I think I'll take a nap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.