Tour of Fairbanks Update (Maybe... Sorta...).

Last week I sounded my bell of doom and gloom about the Tour of Fairbanks. Hey, you have to go with your strengths, and that's the only card I have to play.
  
Yesterday Chris Knott dropped me a line after he was somewhat recovered from shepherding a wild pack of high school track athletes around Anchorage during spring break. Don't worry, Chris. The physical and emotional scars will fade someday.
 
At any rate, he mentioned that they found a prospect to act as race director for the Tour of Fairbanks this year. Nothing written in stone yet, but they put her in touch with Amanda, the former race director and a key factor in the success of the last two editions. Having that sort of experience and knowledge to back you up is invaluable for a new race director, as there are a million things that you'd never think of until they come and slap you in the back of your head at the worst possible moment. Everybody is looking at you as the expert that makes everything happen, and you're like, "hey, I'm new here too."
 
Best of luck if the prospect takes the job.
 
I'll be waiting to hear how it all plays out. A lot of things have to fall into place for me to race in this year's edition, and the mere existence of an edition this year is only one of them. However, even if I don't make it up for the race, I'll try to publicize it as much as I can. It's just a fun event on the types of roads we just don't have in Anchorage, and our participation broadens the fields up there and helps strengthen their roadie culture.
 
Hopefully we'll hear some good news, and sooner rather than later.
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.