What a Difference a Day Makes

I knew I was beat down when I raced Saturday. I knew there was next to nothing left in the tank, and the fact that I was able to hang with the pack in the road race that followed the time trial was a small victory. When Sunday's rains gave me a semi-plausible excuse for not riding, I grabbed it with both hands. I usually like riding in the rain. Maybe "like" is the wrong word. I often ride in the rain. This time, I knew it wouldn't do me any good and would probably do a lot of harm. I needed a break, so I took one.
 
Monday after work I went out for an hour ride. I planned to ride easy and just keep the legs spinning, but when I got to the time trial course I opened it up a little. Actually, I hit numbers I couldn't pull off on Saturday on my TT bike with all of my considerable aerodynamic snake oil. I had more in reserve, and I had to force myself to back off.
 
Guess I needed to rest. Duh.
 
The next week and a half is all about rebuilding whatever stores of energy my fat rolls can hold, without making my body get lazy and killing my top end. We'll see how that pans out. I'll still get killed in every stage by stronger and lighter racers, but maybe the margins won't be so pitiful.
 
I like me some naps, so this should be fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.